Friday, December 31, 2010

Reflections


Well, it is the appropriate day for it. Although I only started this blog a few months ago, I’m amazed at how far it’s come. No, it’s not the go to website for writing information. But I’ve made a lot of new friends on Blogger and expanded myself as a writer. I’m no longer writing just for writing; I’m writing for all the people reading my words right now. It gives me a lot of motivation.

The rest of the year pales in comparison to the last few months. I didn’t realize how much I would learn from social networking, not only about writing but about being a good online friend. It’s a lot of work! You can’t just post every day and expect people to visit (i.e. “If you build it, they will come” is incorrect). If you want people to visit you, you have to first, post something interesting; second, post regularly (I think I’m okay here); third, return the favors.

As for the months before I met all of you, I did a lot then, mostly writing stories. I wrote a record five books this year, of approximately 70,000 words each. That is quite a lot, but four of those books are nowhere near ready for readers, let alone consideration by an agent/publisher (another lesson learned the hard way). The fifth, which I’ve been pouring my focus into the past few months, is edging its way towards “ready.” In writing these books, I’ve learned what it means to go from draft one material to draft two, and it isn’t just removing the uses of adverbs and that. It’s the most valuable lesson any writer can learn, and also one impossible to teach or qualify with mere words.

Yes, there are times when words are not enough. A well placed sentence can fell empires, but not on its own.

Happy New Year.

3 comments:

  1. You're so right. This community is incredibly helpful, supportive, and all around awesome. Glad to have met you this year J! Good luck prettying up that #5! (5 books in one year!? WOW!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been lovely getting to know you. "A well placed sentence can fell empires, but not on its own." - so true!!!

    Best of luck in 2011 for your publication journey :)

    Rach

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always helpful to reflect. In terms of what it means to go from draft one to draft two, I'm right there with you. Some things are best learned from experience. Wishing you an inspiring and productive new year. Happy 2011!

    ReplyDelete

Please validate me.