Saturday, December 25, 2010

Quotapalooza


See that rock community? I can make up words, too.

Anyway, for Christmas I’m giving you a little diversion. I’ve compiled a list of quotes from various books, comics, television shows and movies (because all media is equal in my eyes). How many sources can you name? [PS. Contest is closed. Winner will be announced Sunday]

       For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.

       Don’t try to be a great man; just be a man.

       It’s not about being right…it’s about doing right.

      All animals are equal
      But some animals are more equal than others.

      Darkness isn’t the opposite of light, it is simply its absence.

      I don’t want to be a pirate!
 
      You’re not creating, you’re negating! Your peace is that of the grave.

      Because I do not hope to turn again
      Because I do not hope
      Because I do not hope to turn
      Desiring this man's gift and that man's scope
      I no longer strive to strive towards such things
     (Why should the agèd eagle stretch its wings?)
     Why should I mourn
     The vanished power of the usual reign?

     One time I rocked so hard I killed a man.

     Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

      It's not pining, it's passed on! This parrot is no more! It has ceased to be! It's expired and gone to meet its maker! This is a late parrot! It's a stiff! Bereft of life, it rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed it to the perch, it would be pushing up the daisies! It's rung down the curtain and joined the choir invisible. This is an ex-parrot!

     Self-improvement is masturbation. Now, self-destruction…

     The doll’s trying to kill me and the toaster’s been laughing at me!

     Here is my secret. It is very simple: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.

     How wonderful is Death,
     Death and his brother Sleep!

     The Road goes ever on and on
     Down from the door where it began,
     Now far ahead the Road has gone,
     And I must follow if I can,
     Pursuing it with eager feet,
     Until it joins some larger way
     Where many paths and errands meet.
     And whither then? I cannot say

    . . . it is true of the spirit as it is true of battles—only the winners are remembered.

     This is not for you.

     And now I give it to you. What you do with it will be of more than passing interest to us all.

     We are all born mad. Some remain so.

     Just once I’d like to have dinner with a celebrity who isn’t bound and gagged.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry I can't name any of these sources. Sigh. But, Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete

Please validate me.