Wednesday, December 29, 2010

When An Idea Strikes

I think I've mentioned that my chief source of ideas is dreams. In particular, the dreams I have after I've woken up very early, tossed and turned for an hour, and then fallen back asleep provide great inspiration (these dreams tend to be of the lucid variety and have a clear story to them). And yes, I had another good one last night : )

I really like this idea although I only had a clear dream of a couple of scenes. It's relative briefness means I don't know much about the plot other than it centers around the murder of a girl. I know who the main character is and thought up a few others while ruminating on the dream, but there's still a lot missing.

Because I am a pantser by nature, I'm not going to let this hold me back. I'm going to start typing and find out what happens as it comes. This book definitely will have a mystery quality to it, but I'm not sure it will be a whodunit, so to speak. No, I'm not going to blurt who did it right away (I'm not even sure!), but a lot of it will be about  how terrible events can haunt you (the bulk of the story will take place ten years after the murder--it's the inciting event, but not necessarily the main plot).

I want to go write it now : ). Like lightning, this idea has struck and it's catching fire. I can't wait to see where it goes.

4 comments:

  1. I dream a lot, but only a handful of dreams stay with me. One is an occasional dream that comes back every once in awhile. I'm sitting in a vast cavern at a bonfire, with knights, dragons, trolls, and all manner of legendary beasts gathered about. And we're all singing Take Me Out To The Ballgame.

    No, I have no idea what that's supposed to mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a dream this morning that included Daleks. I think I might be sued if I wrote about that. :(

    Have fun with your writing-- it sounds exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dreams, when I have them, are all too completely surreal to serve as fodder for stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My idea for my #3 novel is still cooking. I have the characters & general idea, but not sure what my point is. I usually have to know that to start. I'm still in revisions for my #2 novel, so hope inspiration will strike before I type 'the end'.

    If not, I find just writing is the way to work these things out. Gets those creative fires burning. :D Have fun writing!

    ReplyDelete

Please validate me.