Thursday, December 2, 2010

I am a horribile spieller

Really, I am. From grades one through eight, I was in horror during spelling quizzes. That whole “i before e except after c” thing just goes right over my head. I always spell according with two r’s and one c.

I can remember when to use their, when to use there, and when to use they’re. I know how to use whom. I know what ambiguous means, what florid means, what antidisestablishmentarianism means. But don’t ask me to spell them.

If I had to handwrite essays in English class, I’d fail every one. Thankfully, I have spell check. It doesn’t absorb the suck from my writing, but at least you know what it means! 

Sorry I don't have anything more interesting to talk about today ; ). I'll see if I can drum up something more interesting for tomorrow. Maybe about how I have seven hundred uses of could, would and should in my current MS. That I have to edit. Right now. 

Can you hear my sigh through the internet?

2 comments:

  1. I don't think you're alone in this. Believe it or not, I was an amazing speller until 8th grade. I got 100% on just about every quiz - I even had years where I never missed one word. But, then technology made a stronger presence in my life, and it's been a downward spiral since then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a great speller either. Thank the universe for dictionaries! :D In college, I carried a spelling dictionary with me everywhere. Still have it.

    ReplyDelete

Please validate me.