Sunday, February 27, 2011

Voiceless


One of the trickiest—and most important—parts of writing is capturing a voice. If you don’t have one, the reader might as well be reading a text book. It’s dry, it’s uninteresting and they are oh so aware of the fact that they are reading.

What is “voice”? Voice is what you write so the reader will read it a certain way. Confused? Yes, me too, and I’m the one who wrote it.

Voice isn’t necessarily the voice of the character (although that’s important too) or the narrator. It’s more like why the narrator reads it that way. Okay, let’s go look at a book that absolutely drips with voice, PUSH, by Sapphire. The language is harsh, the spelling often in error, the grammar completely off. But it really feels like you’re there with Precious, listening to her. It helps that it’s a first person book, but third person can also have wonderfully evocative narrators. Ever read THE PRINCESS BRIDE? The Lord of the Rings Series also does it beautifully.

I follow a lot of agents and almost every single one has said that voice is the most important thing when they read a manuscript. And while you can shape and enhance it, voice is not something that is easy to just create.

What’s my voice? Kind of sarcastic. Clipped. Full of “holy crap, am I going to die?” anxiety with a touch of “how the hell did this happen?” At least, that’s what I’m trying for and it sounds that way when I read it aloud. Readers might have a different view. It’s a little hard to judge your own voice.

Tell me: what is your voice like? Do you have any tricks for cultivating it?

13 comments:

  1. Good post and you are so right about voice. It has to even come through in the query. A strong, appealing voice can make an agent or editor overlook a lot of other potential problems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My "voice" definitely goes for the sarcastic and the cynical aspect of my personality. It comes across in narrative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no idea what my voice is like, dangit. It's on my list of "things to work on."

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me, voice doesn't tend to be a problem. Everything else may be, but voice isn't :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Voice is one of those things that's difficult to pin down. You did it well. Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Voice is a subject that's close to my heart. It's one of the main reasons I decided to re-write my manuscript from 3rd person to 1st person. My chapters alternate between my two main characters - a chapter in her voice and a chapter in his. I did a lot of work before embarking on this re-write to develop two voices that were distinct from each other and also believable but not stereotypical. Hopefully I've been successful in that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Voice. I know it when I see it. Working on mine. Not as strong as I want it to be. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm, I know I have voice in my story, but I don't think I've ever stopped to think about what goes into it. It sort of just is.

    Now I must go think! Not a wise activity on a Monday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm still working on voice--it's a tricky beast to tame :) Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Voice makes me care about the character (or not). So important. Writing short stories, mine is always different. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with Cally Jackson. Writing in 1st person makes me feel a connection that lets my voice come through. Otherwise, I feel cold and distant.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmmm certainly am area i need to study, i think that mine comes out well as a write, we shall see.

    Cally you rewrote from 3rd to 1st? phew... hard going!

    Susan i love 1st, but i have read so much about it being the more difficult to manage.

    every time i come up with a new idea i scribble (and i mean scribble) the opening paragraph down to have a quick look at it. it is Always in first person because that is how i capture the "voice" / mood whatever. it just happens without me thinking.

    i must learn to try third though. i need to work on that!!! big time

    interesting questions

    Sarah ketley

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ugh. I have no idea, of course I'm just finishing my first novel, so maybe I haven't figured it out yet.

    ReplyDelete

Please validate me.