Monday, February 21, 2011

The Cake is a Lie


Of course I never deleted the Wikipedia page. That would be wrong. Besides. I’m pretty sure it is one of the password protected pages that can only be updated by approved parties. However, it would be hilarious if it did not and the page just vanished.

I only like jokes when someone else is the one getting in trouble.

Changing subjects. That was a fun challenge. At first, I wasn’t sure I’d be able to do it—that’s not unusual. I think that about everything before I have time to ruminate on it. The lie part was what really hung me up. I’m not a fan of lying in any form. I’m not saying be mean or blab everything you hear; but I don’t like deception designed to protect yourself (or under the guise of “protecting someone’s feelings”) or put forth something that isn't true when facts are right there. I think my entry reflected my distaste for it. I couldn’t quite seem to get it right.

Those without experience in novel writing might say that fiction is nothing but a lie. They, of course, are wrong. A story is one thing. It is a dream. There is no supposition that it is real (that would be non-fiction), although one may pretend it is so. I make up stories and characters, but none of them are lies.

Now I’m getting all philosophic again. Booooring. I’m going to go drink beer and play video games.

Okay, that was a lie.

6 comments:

  1. The delicious chocolate cake is not a lie, just have to work for it. :)

    I love your posts, they are always entertaining and/or informative. You never bore us. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts and talent with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stories definitely aren't lies. Some parents like to say they are when we're still little--but they just don't see the makings of a writer when it comes.

    Stories are definitely dreams. The best kind of dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fiction is not lying at all. For me it's more like my dreams and imaginations, and some times things in them actually happened.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fiction never feels like a lie for me. It does have the dream-like feel to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh, if writing fiction is lying then I'm in biiiig trouble:) Lovely blog. Just stumbled across you - new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved that you said it made the universe divide by zero, though. I still think that if you can multiply by zero, you should be able to divide by zero, dangit.

    ReplyDelete

Please validate me.