Saturday, November 6, 2010

Adaptation Island


I got the title for this one from an eighth grade project where we had to make up a plant/animal and see if it would survive in the various conditions our teacher made up, like evolution. I made a meat eating tree.

Have you ever noticed that I invariably start these with some sort of anecdote? Hm.

Anyway! I’m here today to talk about movie adaptations. I know. It’s every writer’s dream. I’ve heard a lot of people actually picture who will play their characters in movies. I don’t, mostly because I always picture the characters in my head and to me, they’re separate people. Maybe I’ve seen traits somewhere and combined them. But I don’t know who could or would play them in movies.

I remember Stephen King once said how if you ever watch a movie based off a book, whenever you read the book you tend to picture the actor who plays the character. Not me. It does happen sometimes just because of excellent casting, but most of the time, the picture stays who I have in my head.

What about you? Do you have a dream cast for your book or do you like who is in your head?

7 comments:

  1. I don't give it too much thought, but I'd be a liar if I said I didn't think about it a little from time to time. But even then I know that would just be the actor portraying them, not the actual person living in my head.

    Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never pictured actors as my characters, but I have pictured who'd I'd want to represent them. They would never be perfect matches, but I'd do my best to try and fill the spots.

    My last book, I had Hugh Jackman as one of my characters. Not because he was a perfect match, but because it would've given me a good excuse to meet one of my favorite actors. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think more about the soundtrack I'd hear as I'd watch certain scenes on a movie screen. I tend to visualize my scenes while running on the treadmill. That's when past and future scenes come alive in my mind (while listening to the "soundtrack" on my ipod! christy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mwhahahahahahahahaahahahahahaha. *coughs*

    Actually the only thought I've given it is that people say my writing would translate very well into film because of the visual aspect and the way I write scenes.

    Also if it happens I'd like to have a special chair and free smoothies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I write my autobiography, I am envisioning Johnny Depp playing a major role in it. And, if he wants to, he can play himself in the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see movies and I visualize myself in the movies. As for the soundtracks, I visualize how the scenes could play out in my mind. The brain is a wonderful thing.
    Yes, you can e-mail me at the address, I gave you.
    Have a great day.
    Smiles to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes I picture certain actors playing the part of my main characters, mostly to help with the vivid descriptions. Mostly they're born in my head though, and the actors just flesh them out a little more.

    ReplyDelete

Please validate me.