Saturday, October 12, 2013

The Meaning of Fear

I enjoy scary movies and such, but as I’ve mentioned before, I’m not often scared by them. I mean, it’s not like they’re spiders or public speaking. I’m not in real danger, so there isn’t much fear. So when I find something that actually gives me chills, I take note.

Recently, I’ve become quite the fan of the Slender Man Mythos. The Slender Man is basically an eldritch abomination that appears as a tall, faceless man in a business suit. It’s…less ridiculous than it sounds. Those who cross paths with it usually end up in pieces. Or worse.

The two most popular methods of telling Slender stories are via blogs or vlogs (although there has also been a few video games and even movies). There are some good blogs out there, but the vlogs are really where the terror of the Slender Man shines, so I’m going to share with you lucky people the ones that I’m currently following.

In A Nutshell: While reviewing footage of his deceased cousin’s last visit, Noah discovers something stalking Milo. And now it’s set its sights on Noah.
In terms of scariness, this one varies from mild to moderate. It’s more mystery oriented, and unlike some mysteries, there are actually answers. It’s just that they end up being worse than not knowing anything.

In A Nutshell: Four friends decide to post exercise and health videos with a funny background gag of being stalked by a certain tall being. Then their houses get broken into, they find garbage bags filled with body parts, and everyone around them starts dying.
Moderate to very scary. It’s honestly a lot milder at first, but things keep getting worse for the main characters. There’s a lot of mystery, but also a lot of gore, especially later on. If you watch about six videos in, when they’re still trying to do their exercise videos, you’ll see some surprisingly gruesome things. And that’s nothing compared to what’s in store. Seriously, you just have to be amazed at what these guys can do with a shoestring budget.

In A Nutshell: Alex wants to record the strange noises in his house. That somehow snowballs into him and his friend Nick trying to hide from a cult that worships a very nasty being.
For the most part, it’s only mildly scary, but it’s also got a lot going on to keep viewers interested. It’s not as action-y (or gruesome) as Everyman Hybrid, nor is it as what-the-hell-is-going-on?! as Tribe Twelve. Dark Harvest manages to meet somewhere in the middle and give the best of both worlds.

In A Nutshell: Jay is reviewing some footage he got from his old friend Alex. And he’s finding some pretty disturbing things. It only gets worse when he insists upon investigating.

I would call it the scariest one, with episodes ranging from “frightening” to “heart attack”. I think the first video is a good example of what’s to come: it’s disorienting, terrifying, and inescapable. All in something like thirty seconds.

7 comments:

  1. I tend to stay away from horror. I get my fill of adrenalin rushes at work. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure this originated as a video game. I my son was offered a chance to test play it a couple or few years ago while it was in development.

    It may be my age showing, but I think the whole thing is, well... never mind. I'll keep my age to myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the first time I've heard of that concept! Very peculiar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never sought out scary stories. I just don't... But they are popular. The kids these days love those things, so I bet they'll continue to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this Slender Man sounds different to the usual horror story. I'm only able to enjoy horror when it catches me unawares, like in the movie The Black Swan, or Stephen King's Under the Dome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Slenderman. Good one! I'm not really into scary movies (most end on a strange note that doesn't feel resolved - drives me nuts) but I do appreciate good stories in any form. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bring on the scary! It's Halloween time, right? Awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Please validate me.