Friday, October 15, 2010

Become part of the be nice online movement


Being nice.

I think it’s something we could all use a lot of. I was talking to the incomparable Gavriella Zahtz about the hatred spewing forth online. It happens on almost every subject. Pick one and you’ll find someone who hates it and is determined to insult everyone who disagrees.

I don’t get it. I know it’s online and (virtually) anonymous, but why are people so rude? Why am I called “part of the pet-obsessed problem” when I sign animal rights petitions? Why am I called a nazi because I support a single payer health care system? Disagree with me. Explain reasons why I am wrong. But don’t call me names and don’t expect me to change.

Social media is a powerful tool. It connects people who otherwise wouldn’t meet and it can unite people in different countries. So why do people use it as a place to bully people, humiliate them, or post their address when they don’t like the singer you do?

Just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should. The world would be a better place if people let go of the anger and remembered other people's points of view are just as valid as theirs. Jesus forgave the people who crucified him. I think I can let be nice to people who disagree with me. Even if they are rude.

And you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please validate me.