Saturday, September 7, 2013

Story Time

I always like to do something fun in my Saturday posts. Sometimes it’s just fun for me, like in one of my rants, but you guys have put up with that enough lately, so I decided on something that’s actually fun for everyone: short stories.

I love short stories. I love long stories, too, but this week’s about the short ones, namely those of the sci-fi genre. We’re lucky to live in a time after the explosion of sci-fi shorts left us with thousands of varying quality to choose from.

The Last Question by Isaac Asimov
I actually mentioned this one before, but at the time was unable to find a copy of it online. The prolific Asimov calls it his best work. It’s certainly one of the smartest, most amusing ones.

The Cold Equations by Tom Godwin
If you prefer to be depressed by your sci-fi, look no further. It’s one of the most heart-wrenching, emotionally driven stories I’ve read period.

And He Built a Crooked House by Robert A. Heinlein
And He Built a Crooked House is par for the course time travel-y confusion. Seriously, you might need to write down detailed notes about what’s going on. Still fun though.

The Unreconstructed M by Philip K. Dick
It’s Philip K. Dick, so that right there should tell you it’s going to be cynical.


Ugh, I just realize there are all guys here. Lame. However, I’ve also been reading through MACHINE OF DEATH, a collection of short stories by various authors based on the premise set forth in one of Ryan North’s Dinosaur Comics. And lucky for us there are plenty of females in there as well as males. So it’s proof that women can A), write science fiction, and B) be funny. Suck on that, SFWA.

7 comments:

  1. SFWA have something against women?
    Nice collection of authors there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I have time, I will have to check those out.

    @Alex: Some of their members do, yes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The Cold Equations" is actually in one of the high school English literature textbooks. 10th grade, I think. Chilling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good stuff -- always cool to read stuff from some of the greats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Asimov and Philip Dick I'm familiar with, but I hadn't heard of Godwin and Heinlein.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for short stories! I'm actually kind of a novel gal, but what the hey. What not try something new, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I should read more short stories--novels are a commitment for me, since I'm a slow reader.

    ReplyDelete

Please validate me.