Tuesday, July 9, 2024

One Fourth

You either get the reference or you don’t.
Panel 1, I’m with my mom, measuring a door with a tape measure, and she says, “This door’s been broken for years. About time I replaced it.” “Okay, it’s seventy six plus three eighths inches long.” Panel 2, I’m still measuring and I say, “No, wait. It’s seventy six and a fourth.” Panel 3, I’m still measuring, I say, “Okay, I was wrong. Seventy six and an eighth.” Panel 4, standing up now, I say, “We may have a House Of Leaves situation going on here.” She says, “I didn’t read that book, I don’t get the reference, but we do not.”
Granted, it’s better than being bigger on the inside than on the outside, but I still don’t know why it was different each time.

3 comments:

  1. That sounds a lot like me measuring my knitting. In that case, though, knitting grows (or shrinks if I pull it the opposite way), and I can influence the changes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had that same issue measuring my kitchen cabinets.... Not sure why it's different each time, or why something that looks symmetrical can be different on each side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had that happen a few times measuring stuff around the house. I blame user error for mine.

    ReplyDelete

Please validate me.