Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Scary Games


I love the Halloween season! Everything’s spooky. It just feels so on brand for me. Now, I don’t have as many games to share with you this year, but I do have a few I thought were unsettling in very different ways.

The first one is called Escape from the Haunted Room and… yeah, that’s what you’re supposed to do. There are a few puzzles, but I didn’t have any trouble figuring them out. Mostly it was just creepy. There are some jump scares, especially at the end, but the real scare is the atmosphere. It always feels like there’s something in the corner of your eye and then when you look, it’s gone.

Next is 33, which is very different, and someone even described it more as “interactive art” than a game, something I agree with. You’re in a room, and in order to get money to buy things, you have to kill others. In this case, the horror is in what you’re doing.

In that vein is also Presentable Liberty, where you play someone who is locked in a room during a plague and only receives occasional correspondence from a few people, including one who really, really doesn’t want to let you out. You can play some mini-games to pass the time between letters, which slowly reveal the plot to you. Again, it’s less of a game and more along the lines of a visual novel, but it’s very creepy. Especially when the opportunity to escape comes up… Now, this one actually costs money, but you can pay whatever you choose and it is worth kicking a few bucks to them.

So I guess that’s all for this year. Anything spooky come your way?

5 comments:

  1. 33 doesn't sound like my style although escaping from a room would be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What you're saying is that the most scary thing there is is to be locked in a room...?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'm too much of a wuss to play scary games...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll keep an eye out, but the kiddos seem to be into shooter games (Fortnite, Krunker) or those grow-y games (slither.io, agar.io, and there's a new one too).

    ReplyDelete

Please validate me.