Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Writing Update

Since this blog was supposedly started to talk about writing, maybe I should talk about it a little?

My writing pace has slowed way down (obvs), because unfortunately I’ve been so tired at the end of the day, mostly mentally, and just want to have some fun and relax. Also I really need to have a show on in the background while I write and my streaming has been terribly choppy lately. I know that’s a stupid thing to complain about as a deterrent for writing but IT’S TRUE.

I like the book I’m writing. It’s getting near the end now. I want to set up for the final confrontation although I haven’t quite figured out how that’s going to happen. I mean, I know what will happen when it does, I’m just not sure how to get to that point. I’ve been really pantsing this one. I’ve already made a bunch of notes of things I need to add in editing. Editing! Oh man, I hate to think what that will be like. This first draft is a steaming hot mess. At the rate I’m going, I’ll be editing for the rest of my life.

I also have ideas about what I might want to write next. Several well-formed ideas that I’m not sure if I want to write, one interesting but barely there idea that will likely never get written, and one, the most likely next candidate, that could be good if I can get it past the idea stage. We’ll see.

So that’s the situation here. What’s your writing like? Any good ideas brewing?

7 comments:

  1. I always have a show playing in the background when I write. Plus music going. So I understand.
    Sometimes you know how it ends, just not specifically how it will happen. It'll come to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Writing is in fits and stutters, but it's getting better now that school has started.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll figure it out. The characters will show you how it ends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Write the confrontation. Worry about setup later.

    I haven't written anything in months. Over a year? Perhaps. I have an idea, but I've just been so worried about other things, it sucks the energy right out of the writing. I know I just need to plow through the feeling, but I just can't quite do it. Not yet, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what editing forever feels like!

    I can't write when there's television on- can't write to music with singing either. The spoken or sung words would distract me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm only halfway through my WIP and working up to a big moment. Like you, I know how it ends but I have a lot of work to get there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm the opposite when it comes to writing and TV. I have to have mindless TV on or it distracts me too much.

    ReplyDelete

Please validate me.