Saturday, April 23, 2016

A-to-Z Challenge: T

Just over a week left, right? Anyway, today is thrive.


We know that thrive showed up in the early thirteenth century from some Scandinavian source, but not exactly where. Possibly it’s from the Old Norse Þrifask/Þrifa, which means clutch or take hold of. Which…doesn’t really sound like thrive. Oh, and for those just tuning in, Þ is thorn, an old letter for the th sound. Why’d we get rid of it? Isn’t it so much easier for a sound to have its own letter?

Sources
Briem.net

10 comments:

  1. I guess I can see a connection between thrive and clutch/take hold of. You know, like a plant starts to thrive once its roots have taken hold. Or something like that. Or am I reaching too much? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great word! I love the word thrive. It seems to hold positive connotations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm actually finished with all of my posts. I've never been finished this far ahead of time before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't really see much of a link back between thrive and clutch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't see the connection either, but I like M.J.'s comment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We should have kept that letter. It could be on the keyboard beside L.

    Susan Says

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blog hopping from North Carolina during the #Challenge. Happy to find this post on writing and to learn something from a fellow blogger. I have been writing about hotels and inns, the architects and setting. Come and learn something more about fixing tea or ordering tea at a lovely hotel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This feels rather frustratingly inconclusive...

    ReplyDelete
  9. In some cases, yes, it is easier for a sound to have it's own letter - but you could get very carried away :)
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

    ReplyDelete

Please validate me.