Friday, April 8, 2011

Distraction Friday

Today's distraction is just a small one! I Write Like is a cool site where you paste in a sample of your work and it analyzes it to determine what famous author you write like.

It was fun to paste in different samples of my work and see if I wrote like different authors--I do, by the way. My blog posts are, apparently, like H.P. Lovecraft. Considering most of his work is dense and full of racist undertones, I'm not entirely sure this is a compliment.

When I put in the short story I'm editing, I received Margaret Atwood. While I have nothing against her, I do find it a bit odd that the writing style YA horror story would resemble that of an essayist and poet. I have to say, I wonder what exactly they use to analyze it.

So enjoy seeing who you write like! Maybe you'll be as baffled as me.

3 comments:

  1. Cool site! I'll go check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been doing the same thing with that site. Depending on what passage I was feeding into the program, the answer came back differently. I got Lovecraft at one point or another, and Margaret Atwood too. I also got Ian Fleming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was fun, although I got a whole bunch of different results that I've never heard of. The only name I recognized was Stephen King, which is kind of funny.

    ReplyDelete

Please validate me.