Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Word Search


No, not the kind where you circle words mixed in with a jumble of letters. I mean actually searching your manuscript for problem words and phrases.

I’ve mentioned a few times that I have a list of words I scour my work for using Word’s find function. A lot of them are pretty common sentence fillers: just, only, every, probably, since, and that are the worst offenders, but by no means the only ones. It’s also wise to scour for words like feel, think and see (or felt, thought and saw for you past-tense writers) since they tend to pull the reader out of the book. As in, “I feel hurt” puts distance between the reader and the character whereas “I’m hurt” does not. But I digress.

There are other words you want to watch out for, the ones that you have a particular fondness for and often don’t realize you use. These are more specific, the words that sound right to you but will become repetitive for readers. Imagine reading “she appeared” every time a character enters the room. If you start noticing it, wham! Out of the book. Unfortunately, you might have to wait for a beta reader to say “You use ‘of course’ a lot” before figuring it out. For example, besides “of course”, I found quite a few instances of “flush” in my book. It’s one of those words that can be used once or twice a book without incident but more than three or four and readers start to go “does this girl’s face ever stay normal?” Again, not good.

So there are many reasons to word search your MS. I suggest waiting until after major rewrites are complete before doing a word search. There’s no point in clearing out useless words if a new chapter’s just going to need it done again.

And for the record these are my words: still, there, though, although, before, after, once, at least, of course, appear, then, while, almost, even, what, start, begin, begins, good, how, just, only, every, can, well, probably, that, since, as, like, so, some, when, seem, been, could, would, should, I, we, ’re, n’t, ’s, ’d, ’ve, be, is, are, am, I’m, was, were, we’re, keep, kept, got, get, had, has, felt, feel, think, thought, try, tried, tries, may, might, grew, grow, look, found, find, knew, know, become, became, smell, stupid, sense, hear, come, came, go, goes, went, taste, see, saw, watch, believe, flush, area, smile, cry, cries, cried, tear, sob, sobbed, wonder, time, pop, face, flash, thing, almost, if, finally, barely

And this doesn’t even include my adverb search.

What about you? Any words you especially overuse? How do you deal with problem words?

11 comments:

  1. "that" and "just" and "so" are my worst offenders. I try to watch out for those now. And I also learned to get rid of words like, wondered, considered, felt, believed, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, those are big ones for me, especially "like". There's just so many ways it can be used...

      Delete
  2. I'm currently working on this and it is so hard! I'm tackling 'that' and having serious issues. I've cut about 150 uses so far but I still have about 580 of 'that' in MS. Ugh. I'm planning on tackling felt next :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always keep my eyes out for "then", "that" and "just". Those seem to be some of the easiest to abuse:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. I know I overuse them way too much. They're so fun to use as space fillers.

      Delete
  4. I'm not sure. I haven't gotten to that part of the edit process, but I'm pretty sure I overuse just and really. There are others. I'll figure them out eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’ve learned so much over decades of writing, but find I’m still guilty of overusing certain words.

    I absolutely cringe now when I skim through my early book manuscripts. Overused words and terms include: that; he laughed; and then; oh; was; and too many others. Now, after I finished my last self-edit before sending a manuscript off to my editor, I do a search for each offending word/term and count how often I’ve used them. If it’s too often, I start deleting or substituting.

    This is such a great post because you’ve brought to light something so many writers don’t even realize. Becoming aware of bad writing habits like this can make the difference between a mediocre manuscript and a really good one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your great list of words...I think I will have to steal it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was just doing this today. My list includes then, nodded, moment, and hesitate. I do a search for them in the document, read where they pop up and cut 'em if I can.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I use "now" a lot. And I have to be very, very careful about proper use of "then" versus "than". It's so easy to write in the wrong one.

    ReplyDelete

Please validate me.