Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Amusing


Or maybe a-muse-ing.

Anyway, last week was a killer, temperature-wise. I remember going to bed Tuesday and being chilly. On Wednesday, it took about an hour of avoiding looking outside for the heat to really hit. I sat down to write wondering how I’d get anything done. And I wrote three thousand words in two hours.

Don’t get me wrong. I had a good idea what I was going to write and I prepped myself with a good book beforehand. But there have been days when I’ve done that and nothing worthy has come out. This was 3K without even trying. I’d say “without breaking a sweat” but it was ninety five degrees out and I don’t have air conditioning.

Maybe because I was driven to escape, the adverse conditions inspired me. I kept looking down and finding a thousand words added. And then I’d go for a popsicle. (I’d be worried about all the sugar except I probably sweated it all out.) It probably helped that my WIP is set in a world with constant hundred degree heat. Write what you know and all that.

The moral of this story? Absolutely nothing. Sometimes it’s just funny to share something weird.

Is your muse as weird as mine? Do you write well under adverse conditions, whether physical (like a heat wave) or mental (like stress)? Any funny writing stories to share?

7 comments:

  1. That is awesome. I'm having a hard time finding my muse at the moment, but then again I'm freaking out about the first line. I think I need to just sit down and write. Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At the moment I'm avoiding writing. We're not having a heat wave, though, so I have no excuse. I hope it cools down soon for you (not the writing, the weather).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate hot weather, uuurrrrgh. Currently we are enjoying a beautiful winter though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The heat actually stifles me. I write best early in the morning, or late at night, when the heat isn't so omnipresent. We're in the 90's right now but July and August usually boast the 100+ degree days. Not looking forward to that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's hard to do anything when it's hot. Writing is easier than cleaning though. We're supposed to get hot weather again--not looking forward to it.

    Hope your muse sticks around!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that adverse conditions happen inside my mind. Let me explain: It sometimes is difficult to get me to sit down and write/edit/revise. The storm brews inside of me. Getting through the sleeting rain and pounding hailstorm inside ME is what I have to battle. Once, I get my MS up, pop my ear buds in to rock out to some tunes, and start typing, the storm subsides. I'm in my zone. Woot! I think I should do a blog post about this. Thanks for inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heat's a bother. I can work well if there's a storm outside though.

    ReplyDelete

Please validate me.