Sunday, January 16, 2011

Writing Update

I'm taking a break from editing to write something new. As much as I love the story, I'm just not sure where to go with it and it's frustrating to look at it, know it needs work, and be unable to pinpoint what's wrong. Part of this is due to being too close to the material--I know what the characters know, I know what waits for them around every corner, I know why it's there. So it's hard for me to discern what a reader needs to understand and process in the scenes. Hence, a break.

I'm working on something completely different. Different characters, different place, different situations. I like creating these new people and figuring out what happens to them. It's mentally (and imaginatively) energizing. I'm hoping once I've built up enough of a new world, I'll be able to look at my other book with a better eye.


Do you guys have any editing advice? What do you do when you feel lost with a project?

Talk to you later, all!

8 comments:

  1. I do the same thing you do. I walk away from the project I'm too close too (*coughcoughOnlyANamecough*) and do something else. Hence why I'm writing not revising today. I honestly don't think I WANT to look at my completed MS at all today. Just keep writing on whatever it is you want. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I do, too. Not very helpful, I guess. :( Surely fresh eyes will help when you come back to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taking a break is the best thing you can do. Do you have a trusted critique partner? Having them read it and point out places that need work and why is invaluable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just what you are doing-- set it aside and do something else. Just don't burn it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your instinct was right. That is exactly what your writer needs, a break. I tend to be a little OCD and have to force myself to work on something else. Good for you. BTW I have given you an award and you can pick it up on Tuesday over at soimfifty.blogspot.com. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks guys! I guess I'm not the only one who gets a little burnt out working on a single project.

    And Pam: Thanks! How nice of you! I can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I feel I'm in a rut i.e. trapped without any direction and unsure of where to go, I too take a break. A month or two away from the characters can work wonders...sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Exactly what you've done or I edit for one specific thing - like sensory details. Can I visualize, smell, hear, taste, get a sense of touch in each chapter?

    ReplyDelete

Please validate me.