Wednesday, October 27, 2010

...aw, nuts...

I didn't get picked as a semi-finalist at Brenda Drake's blogfest. : (  I know I'm supposed to accept it and move on (there really were a lot of good entries that left mine in the dust) but I'm still bummed about it. It's from a MS I've been working really hard on and it's never easy to see something lose when you've put so much effort into it.

A lot of people said they liked my entry, which is nice, but I think I would've liked more criticism. If I ever want to improve it further, I need a crit partner or something. If only good ones weren't so hard to find! The last time I traded an MS for reads, I took the time to put in some critiques only to get nothing in return except anger that I didn't like the first scene.

Okay, that's enough bitching for today. I'm going to do a little more editing (still word hunting; so far I've removed 200+ was's, 100+ got's, and dozens of unnecessary had, has, and have's). Then I'll probably go crit partner hunting, so I'll need a tranquilizer gun and some duct tape...

Tune in tomorrow, when I'll be back to interesting content. Word nerdery's afoot!

10 comments:

  1. Better luck next time! :)

    Having good crit partners helped me LOADS. Best of luck with finding some people you click with too!

    And if you'd genuinely like some more feedback on your blogfest, I'd be more than happy to take another look at it over the weekend :)

    (Btw, word hunting - try 'that' too. It's a sneaky little thing.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finding good critique partners is tough! The last two groups I was in both fell apart, so I'm wondering if I should start one.

    P.S. I added you on NaNo - I'm there as "lizwrites."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marieke--thanks, I'd love more input. I'm getting to the point where I'm too close to view it objectively. Oh, and that is on my list. I'm so not looking forward to that hunt.

    Liz--just added you! And if you do start a group, I'd be thrilled to join. Online, I suppose : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, good, in depth, and accurate critiques are hard to find!!! Sure, it's nice to be complimented. AND it's important to be challenged at the same time.

    Keep searching. You'll find someone who gives invaluable crit advice. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is hard...we all understand! Try not to let it get you down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, I understand how you feel. This writing thing is hard.

    Definitely keep looking for a crit partner. They're invaluable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry you weren't a semi-finalist. I wasn't either. It was a cool prize. If I have time, maybe I'll look through those entries and choose a winner. But probably not because I'm hosting a Halloween Haunting on my Substitute Teacher's Saga blog starting tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the kind words: ). And Theresa--I can't imagine why yours wasn't picked. I loved it. And if you're busy, you're busy. Don't overextend yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sure you're not alone. I'm new to writing too and would need to be finding crit partners and beta readers soon. As for your entry, don't forget that the criteria for the competition was CLIFFHANGERS. Perhaps there were just more thrilling cliffhangers. That's not to say your WRITING isn't good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, thanks for your comment on my blog! I'd love to swap stuff with you sometime :) Maybe after NaNoWriMo (because it looks like we'll both be busy with coming up)?

    ReplyDelete

Please validate me.