Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Shows

Contest participants should be happy to note that I have not won anything today. But I did get the Batman graphic novel from Chazz and it was great. Well written, good art--what I love about comics. And there are so many incarnations of Batman out there, it can be hard to find one that really feels like Batman.

When I was young, I used to watch Batman: The Animated Series and I always loved the serious nature of the stories. It was a show that didn't talk down to its young viewers. Now, most six year olds watch bland, inoffensive shows on Nick and Disney. I watched a few myself (Power Rangers being the biggest) but my favorites were shows where people were hurt, where the good guy wasn't always good and the bad guy wasn't always bad, and sometimes the jokes were off color. Those are the shows I still watch, even if they're on at four a.m. and I have to tape them. Power Rangers? I could care less. It was fun at the time but did not age well. The fact that I ever enjoyed it is a source of shame when I think of the stupid stories, bad acting, and plots that were basically morality lessons.

And when did this rant on children's shows start? Whatever. So, what are your favorites? What TV shows will you never forget?

1 comment:

Please validate me.