Tuesday, December 26, 2023

Reflections 2023

What the absolute hell happened? This year was… not great. In multiple ways. And very, very expensive. Companies are reporting record profits, because cereal is eight dollars now. Face lotion is thirty. If you go into Target, you can’t find someone to unlock the electronics you want to buy because there are like three people working in the whole store. Life is an endless nightmare, and we’re going into an election year. I want to crawl into a hole now before they take away my healthcare and a single cereal bar costs eighteen dollars.
 
I’m not even sure I can stomach to look at what I was supposed to do the last year.
 
Resolutions 2023
1. Keep looking for ways to promote my web serial (I am so, so bad at this).
Yeah, I’m even worse at this than I thought. Marketing and promotion are really confusing. I suppose I could create a hundred fake accounts and downvote a bunch of books by POCs and only upvote mine, or has that been done?
 
2. Write the second part of that web serial.
At least this was easy enough.
 
3. Finish the new web serial project I’ve been working on (less seriously, I don’t have much of a plan for this one).
This too, as I do really, really enjoy writing.
 
4. Write something else. Not sure what. I’m just assuming this will happen at some point.
Hey, I did this too, and have finished a book that I have been envisioning in some form or other for something like twenty five years. It’s nothing like how I first conceived it, but that’s probably a good thing.
 
5. Find a new social media to be active on since twitter is being slowly murdered. So far, Mastodon seems too complicated and Hive too shaky. There’s Tumblr, of course, but it’s, well, Tumblr.
Bluesky! It’s actually not terrible. I have some invite codes I have no idea what to do with, if anyone’s interested.
 
6. Work on losing some weight. Probably not going to happen, but I can try.
Okay, why the hell did I make this a goal? That was a stupid idea.
 
7. Start reading some new books. For the past few years, the only new things I’ve read have been graphic novels/comics, so I’d like to get back to reading some word novels again.
Hey, I did this! And now I’m chewing my nails waiting for the last book in the series trying to come out.
 
Don’t let the relative completion fool you. 2023 was terrible. Off to the hole.

3 comments:

  1. It has been a tough year, hasn't it? And seriously, staring the year with the intention to lose weight is never a great idea. It never happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the trick, though. Set goals you know you can achieve. Which you mostly did. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Twitter is being actively strangled by its twit of an owner.

    ReplyDelete

Please validate me.