Saturday, March 31, 2012

Top Ten Reasons Why…

…People Have Got to Stop Bitching About Newspaper Comics.

10. Just because you think a comic is “sick sick sick” (actual quote from a letter to the editor), doesn’t mean it is. It means youdon’t like it.

9. We all know that the only way to get in the funny pages is to have gotten in there fifty years ago. It’s not going to change.

8. There’s this thing called “the internet” that has more comics than you could read in your lifetime. And most are free. Why don’t you go support one of those struggling cartoonists instead of someone with a fifty year contract in place?

7. Even with the hundreds of comics out there, there is not one single assortment of them that will satisfy more than one person.

6. You’re not going to enjoy something now like you did when you were five. It’s not that the quality has declined. It’s always been like that. But you still have that memory of laughing at Garfield or Popeye or whatever so you insist that it must have gotten worse. You couldn’t have changed or something.

5. Maybe it’s only the newspaper I read, but the comics very rarely change. Unless they’re doing an announced test run of a strip, it’s going to be there for a while. More than half have been there since I can remember, so over twenty years and only six, maybe eight have been dropped, and at least three of those were from the strips ending. So complain all you want. They aren’t going to listen.

4. If you read the Comics Curmudgeon regularly, you’ll start to see sinister undertones in everything, not just the comics you despise. So maybe it’s not the funnies that’s the problem. Hint.

3. You can just not read them. Is it really that hard? I ignore plenty of comics that bore me. You know what I do instead? Complain about them on my blog Read something else.

2. They’re freaking comics. Get over it.

1. Seriously. One more word and I’m coming after you.

Post inspired by recent letters to the editor. Because if I read another one whining about how every newfangled comic is pure evil and OMG they’re letting children read this filth? my scream will shatter the planet. Seriously, comics need to go up there with politics and religion as topics people can never discuss in a civil manner.

8 comments:

  1. Ha! Good luck with that. I'm just happy we still have letters to the editor, b/c it satisfies a few people's incessant need to complain, and that makes the world a teensy bit better for the rest of us. At least they write it down quietly. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they want to complain, they should just start up a blog like I did :P. Seriously though, they act that their not liking it means it's evil. Dra-mat-ic!

      Delete
  2. They tend to inspire the sort of "How could you stop running my favourite bestest ever infinity plus one strip" letters in some of the papers I read...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't stand those letters. They act like it's a personal affront that the comic was removed.

      Delete
  3. They took For Better or Worse out of my newspaper when I was in high school (15 years ago) because it was too "liberal"... I've never been more befuddled... I loved that comic! :) But, I agree with you... completely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liberal? Yeesh. I suppose that means it wasn't quite bland and humorous enough.

      Delete
    2. I got to hate that strip in the last year of its regular run, because of one character that she insisted on forcing down our throats.... Anthony the dullard stalker wannabe.

      Delete
  4. Some people need to complain. At least they're not using other means...

    ReplyDelete

Please validate me.