Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Scary Movies 2017

More Halloween spooktacular fun! This week: movies.

Hell House LLC
This is pretty standard found footage fare, but it does manage to bring with it some genuinely creepy moments. A group of people are documenting their creation of a Halloween house, which happens to take place in a notorious hotel. Creepy stuff starts happening, obviously. There’s nothing new here, but I liked it and would suggest giving it a try if you’re having a scary movie night.

The Void
This movie is pretty bad in terms of story, characters, acting, and pretty much everything else. Its one shining asset is the amazing special effects used to create the monsters. I would recommend this only because it’s watchable enough to endure so you can enjoy some really cool monsters. If you like eighties horror movies, this will be right up your alley.

Mr. Jones
Okay, if I’m being honest, I put this movie on the list because I have no idea what the hell it was about and I’m hoping that if someone else watches it, they’ll be able to figure it out. If it had more focus, it might have actually been good. The basic plot is that a couple discovers that a man living out in the woods is a mysterious artist who sends creepy figures to random people, something which is never really explained. Which…yeah, “never really explained” sums up most of the movie. You get some hints and some speculation, but not nearly enough. I’m not someone who needs every little thing explained in great detail, but something would have been nice. So skip it unless you want to see some creepy imagery.

Dark Skies
Probably the movie here that I most enjoyed. It’s a typical alien abduction story, this time involving a whole family, and it has some of the usual horror movie tropes, i.e. the dad refusing to accept that it’s true after everyone else has. But it’s still enjoyable and genuinely creepy at times, and everything about it felt well done. Definitely try it out.

I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives In The House
This Netflix original is about the caregiver of an elderly writer, but it’s also about the writer’s most famous novel, about a ghost that might very well live in the house. It’s, well, atmospheric. I guess that’s the best thing I can say about it. I liked it, but it’s probably not something I’d watch again, and I have to say I doubt a lot of people would enjoy it. If you want a gothic ghost story in the modern era, this is definitely it.

5 comments:

  1. Out of those, I've only seen the Void. Might check out Dark Skies. Not sure of the scariest thing I've seen this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen any of these. I think I had better get watching some more scary movies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have pretty much zero interest in any of these.
    And what I have learned about things that are never explained is that the creator had no explanation. It just seemed cool or something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't like scary movies. But if you didn't "get it", I wouldn't blame it on being distracted. If something is good, it'll suck you in no matter how distracted you are. (Well, unless you're dealing with some emergency or babysitting.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I've heard of any of these.

    ReplyDelete

Please validate me.