Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Zazz


There are times when writing is the last thing you want to do. I know. The last thing. Incomprehensible, isn’t it? But things have been crazy around here lately and while I can write, it comes out very mechanical. There are no delightful details! And that bums me out. It has no zazz. I need zazz!

I could lament over this, go back over every word and force zazz up my WIP’s wazoo. But I’m not going to. I’d end up cutting most of it out because of its purple-prose quality. That’s no better!

So I will suffer through the lack of details. Maybe pick up some more first person present books to further immerse myself in the style. It will come again, but in its own time. As I mentioned earlier, you have to keep the idea on the back burner. I’ll be world building, character building, whatever I can do to keep it going. And soon, the day will come when I set the world on fire. I mean, the world in my WIP. Metaphorically. And also literally.

What do you do when there’s no sparkle to your work? Any advice?

6 comments:

  1. I find that, if there's no spark, I often need inspiration from somewhere... so I'll read an author whose writing/characters/imagination excites me... or watch a movie that I find artistic... or something of that nature... something that will get my wheels turning and that is NOT the work I'm trying to accomplish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We sleep for 1/3rd of our lives (at least if we get a full 8 hrs). In the same way, sometimes we need to take a break from things that we normally do. If you're having one of those moments, don't stress. Just sit back and take the time you need.

    I'm having a moment like that myself. I think I need to go out and take a walk. Maybe some exercise will help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually start again. The lack of zazz is not throughout, just whatever I'm working on at that time. If I chuck that part and start from scratch it flows more naturally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me, it tends to happen this way: awesomely written scene, then crappy scene that makes me feel like I am NOT A WRITER, then great potential scene that isn't written too well 'cause I'm in a hurry, then wave of sheer brilliance...for a few lines at least. Then start all over again :)

    Loved this btw: "I could lament over this, go back over every word and force zazz up my WIP’s wazoo." ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Often I find myself without sparkle, but I try to write anyway. Often the sparkle will just come if I keep at it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I go off and do something else for awhile.

    ReplyDelete

Please validate me.